Thursday, October 9, 2014

PUMPKIN MOON PIES

 
No..... not that Pumpkin Moon Pie.....these pies....
 
 
As you know I had the distinct honor to meet up finally with the lovely Anne Marie over the weekend, and she was wondering if I could post my recipe for these pumpkin whoppie pies, as I call them. I love me some pumpkin flavor in the fall, but will cut it off right after Thanksgiving with Pumpkin Pie. I had made these whoppie pies for the first time last year, and loved them. The recipe is below, and I also incuded the other ingedients I have added for a more robust, spicy flavor if you wish.
 
 
These cookies are very rich, almost like a cupcake, so I suggest saving this recipe for a special occasion or a rainy afternoon. The pies are best the day you bake them; if you keep them for too long they will become a bit gummy and too soft.

Ingredients:

For the butter cream filling:
1 egg white
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar, divided
3/4 cup shortening
 
For the cookies:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
 
I have also added in the past, for a more fall taste,  these ingredients:
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
 
I only add these when I know for sure my guest will like a more spicy treat. 

Directions:

Make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the egg white, milk, vanilla extract, and 1 cup of the powdered sugar, then mix on high speed until the mixture is creamy and light. Add shortening and remaining cup of sugar, and whip on high speed until very light, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
 
Preheat the oven to 325°F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
 
Make the cookies: In a large bowl, blend together brown sugar and oil with a spoon until well combined. Add pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla and continue to stir until smooth.
Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices, and then add to the wet ingredients, stirring only until combined (be careful not to over mix...yuck).
For best results, spoon batter into a piping bag with a large tip and pipe mounds of batter (about 1 tablespoon each) of batter onto the lined sheet tray, about 3 inches apart. (If you don't have a piping bag, use two large spoons and space the batter in the same way.)
Bake cookies for about 10-12 minutes, until they begin to turn golden. Let cool completely before sandwiching pies together with the filling.
Whoppie pies will keep in a sealed plastic container at room temperature for a few days.
 
Enjoy kids!!! Now where is my gin?????

24 comments:

  1. I heard your moon pies are quite meaty and moist! Sorry couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can smell the pumpkin from here :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea the blog was scratch and sniff.

      Delete
  3. I'm keeping this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first pic is hilarious, and thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will maybe have to try to make these this year for thanksgiving dinner. They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pies look heavenly, I love all the,spices in them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of these whoopie pies, what the perfect treat for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whatever way you look at it, there is always whoopie going on with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for more pumpkin goodies! Love pumpkin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look soooooo good, and nice and easy. I can see what my weekend will entail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love ANYTHING cream filled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something tells me you'd. Like my icing tube.

      Delete
  12. Oh, man, these pies are calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So when you say there rich, eating the whole plate would be wrong??? Oink oink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you prefer yours in the trough pig?

      Delete
  14. I wonder, are these as tasty as your cream filled surprise?

    ReplyDelete
  15. boyz (and girls), these ARE fabulous! you will not be disappointed with these treats! I think I inhaled mine...

    "a piping bag with a large tip" - I wonder if this perfectly describes the mistress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and believe me, the pleasure was all MINE, maddie, at meeting you! :)

      Delete
    2. From what I hear, good in the kitchen and bedroom!!!!!!

      Delete
  16. I never cared for pumpkin flavor, but love whoopie pies. I guess yours would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They sound sinfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll take a bakers dozen please.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!